Work at Mountain Travel Sobek — We Are Hiring!
Mountain Travel Sobek is the premier U.S. based adventure travel company. Founded in 1968, with our first trip to the Himalaya in 1969 to Nepal, MTS has 45 years’ experience pioneering new routes, opening up destinations to travelers, and making first descents of the world’s major rivers. Recent examples of pioneering travel include departures to difficult to visit spots such as North Korea, Iran, Cuba and Saudi Arabia. Our clients are a loyal band of fellow globe trotters and premier global institutions such as the National Geographic Society (we are the sole provider for their National Geographic Adventures program) and The New York Times (MTS is the sole provider for the active program of New York Times Journeys). Located in the heart of the Bay Area, we are committed to opening doors around the world and to showcasing the best that the world has to offer.
Europe Program Manager — National Geographic Adventures
Mountain Travel Sobek
Mountain Travel Sobek is seeking a travel professional with significant regional operations experience to manage a portion of our portfolio of Europe adventures. This exempt position reports to the Senior Program Director for Europe who is tasked with establishing regional strategy and cultivating relationships with a network of international outfitters.
The Program Manager will oversee day-to-day operations of National Geographic trips, ensuring that the highest standard of service is delivered to guests in the field. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of successfully managing operations for a travel company. Experience with high-end, active adventure travel programs strongly preferred.
- Managing appropriate inventory levels of assigned trips and providing in-country service providers with regular bookings updates
- Efficient management of trips with respect to passenger numbers, gross profit, yield, and quality of execution
- Maintenance and management of inventory of trips in the reservations system
- Maintaining a superior level of program and product knowledge
- Supporting and regularly training internal staff appropriately to their area of expertise, including product knowledge, regional sales training, and creation of staff resources
- Reviewing outfitter invoices for accuracy and submitting to accounting for payment in a timely manner
- Reviewing and maintaining accuracy of guest-facing pre-trip materials
- Creating guests’ final documents in accordance with established deadlines
- Resolving customer service issues with guidance from the Senior Program Director and the National Geographic Program Director, as necessary
- Obtaining dates and prices for upcoming National Geographic travel programs catalogs within established timeframes
- Creating and submitting annual trip budgets
- Reviewing National Geographic marketing collateral for accuracy (catalog proofs, marketing emails, trip webpages, etc.)
- Creating private departures of existing trips as requested
- Assessing field branding needs and assisting with collecting and distributing branded gear to guides and outfitters
- Collaborating with the Director of Travel Industry Relations on travel agent bookings of FITs and private departures, as necessary
- Assisting with emergency phone (beeper) coverage on a rotating basis
- Occasionally representing Europe on behalf of Mountain Travel Sobek and National Geographic Adventures at industry events
- Providing back-up coverage for team members as needed
Required Attributes and Skills:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working in the adventure travel industry
- Significant travel experience and confident geographic knowledge within Europe
- Impressive organization skills
- Ability to multitask under the pressure of numerous deadlines
- Adeptly skilled with Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience negotiating difficult situations with guests and vendors/outfitters
- Proven track record of creating budgets and accurately performing light accounting
- Positive, flexible, can-do attitude and a spirit of adventure
This is a full time exempt position. MTS will pay a competitive wage based on the selected candidate’s experience and existing skill set relevant to the position. Excellent employee benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance.
To apply, please send a cover letter along with your resume and salary requirements to MTSJobs@mtsobek.com with “Europe Program Manager” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
Manager, Growth Marketing and Ecommerce Site Management
Mountain Travel Sobek
Mountain Travel Sobek is looking for an interim, part-time Manager of Growth Marketing, including ecommerce site management, with the emphasis on online analytics. This position could turn into permanent, full time. This critical role collaborates with product and sales teams to analyze and identify sales and market opportunities, works closely with other marketing functions (print, content, production) and drives go-to-market strategies that create measureable value.
The right person should be a data driven marketer with particular strength in growth marketing with experience in managing multiple marketing channels. In this role, the person must also be comfortable with identifying and optimizing growth opportunities across the marketing funnel to drive supply growth, engagement, and retention. The ideal candidate should be technical, highly analytical, experienced with setting up partners and tracking, and willing to get their hands dirty.
- Quickly come up to speed on Mountain Travel Sobek’s travel business and its structure and leverage points.
- Build, optimize and scale effective marketing campaigns to drive growth across digital marketing channels including email, SEO, SEM, display and social.
- Manage performance metrics and budget tracking to scale intelligently acquisition efforts. This includes daily/weekly/monthly tracking and optimization, ranging from a few minutes per day to a couple hours once or twice a week.
- Prepare and present recommendations, reports and key data points to internal stakeholders.
- Create and execute the go-to-market plans for both existing product and new product launches.
- Manage the eCommerce website and blog, including maintenance, enhancements, and all aspects of the online business; including interface with the IT department and reservation system.
- The ideal candidate could currently be an independent contractor or an agency.
- Proven results in driving cost effective revenue growth across multiple channels and platforms.
- Strong analytical, quantitative and pattern recognition skills.
- Deep knowledge of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and tools such as Moz.
- Expertise in email campaign management including deliverability, optimization, and automation.
- Highly proficient in Excel (pivot tables, lookups, formulas etc.)
- Self-starter, learns quickly, prioritizes effectively and delivers results in a fluid, global context.
Customer Service Professional
Mountain Travel Sobek
Mountain Travel Sobek is looking for a customer service professional to join our team. Responsibilities include: Answer trip related questions via phone and email and book additional services as needed. Collect all paperwork, forms and payments from clients in preparation for their trip. Send out pre-trip and final documents. Assist regional Program Director with trip logistics and reservations in the field. Produce client reports for field staff. Provide back-up coverage for other team members as needed.
Required Attributes and Skills:
- Must have significant travel experience and confident geographic knowledge
- Need to be organized, with the ability to multitask under the pressure of numerous deadlines
- Strong administrative skills, and the ability to track and organize numerous documents
- Professional and courteous communication with clients and excellent follow through
- Strong computer skills. Experience and comfort with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel)
- Strong writing skills
- Comfortable working with numbers and light accounting
- Positive, flexible, can-do attitude
MTS is an equal opportunity employer, with full benefits and competitive compensation commensurate with experience. If interested, submit resume and samples of relevant, specific experience to email@example.com. No calls please.