Looking for the ultimate adventure vacation in 2023? Look no further than Mountain Travel Sobek’s top 7 Expert Adventure Picks! Our team of travel experts has scoured the globe to bring you the best mountain destinations for adventure seekers of all travelers. From hiking and trekking to rafting and climbing, we have something for everyone!
Without further ado, here are our Top 7 Expert Adventure Picks for 2023!
- Andalucia, Spain
- Southern Iraq
- Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USA
- Zanskar River, India
- Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho, USA
- The Galapagos Islands, USA
Top 7 Expert Adventure Picks for 2023
1. Andalucia, Spain:
Recommended by: Anne Wood ~ Senior Director of Trip Development & Operations
This southern region of Spain is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant culture, and delicious cuisine.
Visit the cities of Seville and Granada to see the beautiful architecture and try some tapas and sangria. You can also go hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains or relax on the beach.
Why Go to Andalucia?
- Enjoy a perfect blend of cultural interest and full days of hiking—tour the Alhambra in Granada and hike to the top of Mulhacén at 11,420 feet!
- Follow trails in the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain range, and explore vast landscapes of olive groves and gorgeous Pueblos Blancos
- Dine on amazing food, including fresh seafood, cured hams, a bounty of local produce, and traditional tapas
When to Go to Andalucia?
- The best time to go is May, June, September, or October
Discover this 8-day active adventure here.
Recommended by: Debbie Driggers ~ Adventure Coordinator
Located in North Africa, Algeria is a hidden gem for travelers looking to explore a lesser-known destination.
Visit the capital city of Algiers and see the stunning Ketchaoua Mosque, or go hiking on scenic trails. You can also try some of the delicious Algerian cuisine, such as couscous and tagine.
Why Go to Algeria?
- Discover impressive Roman ruins and travel deep into the heart of the M’Zab Valley, where fortress cities rise from the dunes
- Be amazed by the spectacular scenery and culture in the southern desert, including the 15,000-year-old rock paintings
- Get a true insider perspective on Algerian life and enjoy a warm welcome
When to Go to Algeria?
- The best time to go is February, April, September or October
Discover this 17-day active adventure here.
3. Southern Iraq:
Recommended by: Julie McCormack ~ Program Director for Asia & the Middle East
This region of Iraq is known for its rich history and cultural attractions.
Visit the ancient city of Babylon and climb the Ziggurat of Ur. You can also try some of the delicious Iraqi cuisine, such as kubba and shawarma.
Why Go to Southern Iraq?
- Explore the Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia, the Tigris, and the Euphrates
- Behold Karbala and Najaf with their masterpieces of Islamic architecture
- Marvel at fascinating ancient sites such as Samarra, Ur, and the Arch of Ctesiphon
When to Go to Southern Iraq?
- The best time to go is January, March, or September-December
Discover this 10-day active adventure here.
4. Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USA
Recommended by: Christy Hamill ~ Program Director for North America
These stunning national parks in the American West are known for their breathtaking landscapes and abundant wildlife.
Go hiking through the forests and mountains, see the famous geysers and hot springs and kayak in the great whitewaters.
You can also try some of the delicious local food, such as bison burgers and elk jerky.
Why Go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park?
- Experience the magnificent natural wonders of two iconic National Parks
- Yellowstone is home to more than 10,000 thermal features and is often referred to as the “Serengeti of North America” due to the abundance of wildlife located in the park
- Stay active with a mix of scenic hikes and river rafting on the Snake River
When to Go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park?
- The best time to go is June to September
Discover this 7-day active adventure here.
5. Zanskar River, India
Recommended by: Mara Drazina ~ Program Director for Rivers
This remote region in the Indian Himalayas is known for its beautiful mountain scenery and rich Buddhist culture.
The Zanskar River is on the bucket-list for many adventure river rafters! Go rafting on the Zanskar River and visit the ancient monasteries and temples.
You can also enjoy warm hospitality and deep insight into local culture with a home stay.
Why Go to the Zanskar River?
- This popular multi-day river rafting adventure celebrates MT Sobek’s first descent of the Zanskar in 1979!
- Enjoy ancient palaces, Buddhist monasteries, Leh’s colorful markets, and villages steeped in traditional Tibetan culture
- Spend comfortable nights at remote and scenic camps in the “Grand Canyon of India”
When to Go to the Zanskar River?
- The best time to go is August or September
Discover this 12-day active adventure here.
6. Middle Fork of the Salmon River, Idaho:
Recommended by: Heather Howard ~ Director of Marketing
This remote river in the American West is known for its beautiful wilderness and excellent kayaking and rafting.
Go rafting or kayaking through the rugged landscape and see the stunning waterfalls, whitewaters and hot springs.
Why Go to the Middle Fork of the Salmon River?
- The Middle Fork of the Salmon River trip is one of the best family-friendly summer adventures
- Days are filled with fun rafting in the rapids, relaxing in natural hot springs, hiking, visiting historic sites, and cooling off in refreshing waterfalls
- Unplug in Idaho’s stunning Frank-Church River of No Return Wilderness and join amazing river guides—the food they cook is incredible too!
When to Go to the Middle Fork of the Salmon River?
- The best time to go is June to August
Discover this 7-day active adventure here.
7. The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Recommended by: Massimo Prioreschi, ~ MT Sobek CEO & President
These unique islands in the Pacific Ocean are known for their diverse and abundant wildlife.
See the famous giant tortoises and go snorkeling with sea lions.
You can also try some of the delicious seafood, such as ceviche!
Why Go to the Galapagos Islands?
- Explore one of the Pacific’s most treasured gems as you cruise through coves and bays, where abundant flora and fearless fauna await
- See giant tortoises, diverse bird species, and exotic sea life up close—even snorkel with sea lions
- Bookend your trip in colonial Quito with its bustling, UNESCO-listed town center
When to Go to the Galapagos Islands?
- The Galapagos is a great year-round destination
Discover the Galapagos active adventures here.
No matter which destination you choose, you’re sure to have an unforgettable adventure with Mountain Travel Sobek. Join us for active adventure travel in 2023!
- 9 Top Tips for Holiday Group Travel
- Best Outdoor Gear to Take On Your Next Hike
- Top 10 Transformational Trips
- See Where We’ve Been in 2022