Famous pilgrimages in Spain and Portugal to epic hikes in the Alps and Iceland, indulging in local far, to soothing soaks in natural hot springs, these trips blend active adventure with charming towns, captivating landscapes, and historic immersion.
Get your hiking boots packed and head out on one of these enticing journeys. Welcome to our top 10 best trail adventures in Europe!
- Spain El Camino de Santiago Hiking Tour
- Portugal & Spain El Camino Portugues Hiking Tour
- Ireland North to South Hiking Tour
- Alps Tour du Mont Blanc Hiking Tour
- Croatia, Slovenia & Italy Village to Village Walking Tour
- England Coast-to-Coast Hiking Tour
- Alps Haute Route Trek Tour
- Balkans Via Dinarica Hiking Tour
- France Provence Village to Village Hiking Tour
- Iceland Eastern Fjords Hiking Tour
This famous pilgrimage path has been trekked by faithful travelers for over a thousand years! Trek along the famous pilgrimage path from Bilbao to Santiago de Compostela.
What we love about the El Camino de Santiago:
- Discover charming cities and towns like Pamplona, Burgos, and Leon while trekking El Camino.
- Acknowledge the statue of the Virgin Mary watching over travelers as they begin the first stage of El Camino.
- Pass through historical sites like the Pass of Roncesvalles and enjoy a guided tour of the city’s monuments.
- Capture the wonder of Matagrande, Castilla and Finisterre, Gothic-style cathedrals and old towns.
Departures in April, May, August, September, and October.
Follow the original Portuguese Saint James pilgrimage with MT Sobek guides.
What we love about the El Camino Portugues:
- Hike to Tio Tajo and reward yourself with majestic views of the longest river on the Iberian Peninsula!
- Immerse yourself in the Portuguese and Galician towns from lively Oporto to the Templar city of Tomar, and cultural Pontevedra.
- Combine your visit in Oporto, a UNESCO World Heritage Site—with an indulgent local dinner and take in all the culinary delights in this foodie capital such as cheese croquettes, fish dishes, and delicious wines.
- Discover cultural highlights such as Portugal’s Roman Ruins; the UNESCO-listed University of Coimbra from 1290; the Mosteiro de Leca do Balio monastery; and Ponte de Lima, one of the oldest villages in the country featuring medieval houses and ancient religious buildings; and Pontevedra, a town teaming with sacred heritage.
- At the end of your trip, arrive at the hot springs on the Uma River.
This trip can also be paired with the Camino de Santiago across northern Spain.
Departures in April, May, June, September, and October.
“I had one of the BEST experiences in my life through this trip. The amount of green and natural beauty Ireland has combined with the ever-changing weather is a piece of what has touched my heart and soul forever. The balance came from the incredible people we met all along the way. I will forever cherish this journey.”— Kate W. MT Sobek Guest | Ireland North to South Hiking 2022
Discover the full beauty of Ireland on an epic 12-day hike from Inishowen to Mizen, immersing yourself in stunning sites, warm hospitality, and refreshing beers with great company every evening!
What we love about Ireland’s North to South Hiking Adventure:
- Traverse 70 miles of the 400-mile route while taking in dramatic clifftops and white-sand beaches.
- Explore some of the country’s iconic sites including the Giant’s Causeway and its awe-inspiring cliffs, Donegal Town, the Aran Islands, the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle, and the Lakes of Killarney.
- Spend time with the locals in their quaint fishing villages and lively Irish pubs.
- Enjoy nice, cold beers after long days of hiking with the rest of the group!
Departures in May, June, August and September.
This is a bucket-list for the intrepid hiker in you! Trek the 10-day circuit Tour du Mont Blanc massif—said to be a “must-do” for avid hikers.
What we love about the Tour du Mont Blanc:
- Kick off the trip with an overnight stay at the charming resort town of Chamonix, France!
- Be awestruck by breathtaking views of the Mer de Glace glacier, the Chamonix Aiguilles, and the hanging glaciers of Mont Blanc and Aiguille de Bionnassay.
- Follow trails to mountain farmhouses, villages with picturesque wooden chalets, old churches, plus meet ibex, deer, chamois, and marmots.
- Bonus: Indulge your artistic side with a visit to the Fondation Pierre Gianada, featuring a sculpture garden and museums showcasing local art.
- Throughout the journey, learn about the cultures of France, Italy and Switzerland.
Departures in June through September.
This 9-day itinerary combines culture with culinary delights. Discover these popular hiking destinations: Croatia’s Istrian Peninsula, Slovenia’s Julian Alps, and Italy’s Friuli-Venezia-Giulia region.
What we love about this Croatia, Slovenia & Italy Village-to-Village Walking Tour:
- Enjoy jaw-dropping scenery in quaint towns and villages such as dreamy Rovinj, picturesque Bale, hilltop Motovun, artistic Groznjan, stunning Bled, and enchanting Montemaggiore.
- Embark on awe-inspiring hikes and historical tours in national parks, and immerse yourself in the culture.
- At the end of the day, unwind in style and savor the flavors of the region, from wine tastings to truffle hunting lessons, to olive oil tastinbgs and sampling of other mouth-watering regional delicacies.
Departures in June, August, and September.
Step into an English adventure and trek through stunning landscapes on this 10-day MT Sobek trip, following Alfred Wainwright’s legendary “Coast to Coast” trail.
What we love about the England Coast-to-Coast Hiking Tour:
- Cross three national parks—Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, and the North Yorkshire Moors.
- Take in England’s highest mountains, rolling hills and river valleys filled with spectacular landscapes.
- Discover medieval castles, historic houses, and ancient standing stones.
- Enjoy English hospitality and delightful local fare at traditional pubs and quaint guest houses.
Departures in May through September.
Unleash your inner adventurer and embark on this 11-day MT Sobek challenging trek along the spectacular Haute Route. We invite the most experienced of hiker enthusiasts.
What we love about the Alps Haute Route Trek:
- Trek along the famous Haute Route and push your limits on rocky terrain at elevations exceeding 9,000 feet.
- Summit 10 passes in 10 days with professional guides leading the way, and enjoy captivating glaciers, and alpine pastures.
- Reward yourself with spectacular views from Mont Blanc to the Matterhorn.
- Stay at cozy hotels each evening, and relax in charming alpine towns and villages after a day of challenging hikes.
Departures in July through September.
Embark on a 22-day multi-country odyssey from Slovenia to Albania, venturing through the uncharted Dinaric Alps and breathtaking landscapes and unique cultures of the Western Balkans.
What we love about the Balkans Via Dinarica Hiking Tour:
- Traverse on a multi-country tour through Ljubljana, Slovenia’s capital, to Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Kosovo, and Albania.
- Travel to mountain farmhouses and isolated villages across the Balkans, with picturesque wooden chalets, old churches, and old towns.
- Traverse the Balkans and go on a multi-day trek from Ljubljana, Slovenia’s capital, to Croatia, Bosnia, Herzegovina, Kosovo, and Albania.
- Bonus: take a raft down Europe’s deepest canyon and whitewater rapids, swim in the Adriatic Sea.
Departures in June and August.
“Perfect balance of hiking with historical and cultural interest. Medieval hill towns! Vineyards and lavender fields! Stunning limestone formations! The walking ALMOST offset the superb and copious delicacies (and wine!) we were offered at every meal.“— Amanda N., MT Sobek Guest
A “must-do” for the flower lover and the foodie! Explore lavender trails, hilltop villages and savor delicious wines on this 7-day trip.
What we love about Provence Village-to-Village:
- Walk amid Provence’s famed vineyards and taste local wine.
- Relish hearty local dishes in medieval towns and villages, from Gordes to Lacoste.
- Along the way, enjoy gourmet picnics amid sun-washed trails scented with wild thyme, and taste delicious local wines. Bonus: go on a nice tour of a goathouse farm and get local cheese.
- Other highlights on the trip: Discover a sumptuous bounty of fresh fare at St Remy’s morning market.
Departures in April, May, June, September, and October.
“This trip is FANTASTIC!”— Anna W., MT Sobek Trip Director
Explore Iceland, one of the most magical places on Earth in the eastern fjords.
What we love about this Iceland Eastern Fjords Hike:
- Experience an immersive hut-to-hut journey, from fjord to fjord, along the Viknaslodir Trail.
- This trip will meet all your hiking and highlight needs! Tick all the iconic boxes when you visit tourist destinations in Iceland, from Vatnajokull ice cap and Skaftafell National Park to Svartifoss (“The Black Waterfall”) and the black sand beaches of Reynisfjara.
- Bonus: Indulge yourself with a soak in the geothermal spa of Iceland’s famous Blue Lagoon.
- Enjoy a Zodiac ride among Iceland’s black and blue icebergs of the Jokulsarlon Lagoon.
Departures in July – August.
Preview this trip here>>
Ready to explore? Europe is the perfect destination for active travelers who enjoy walking and hiking. Visit our Europe page for more information about all of our European adventures and get your free MT Sobek catalog.
Ask an Expert
We want you to have the best adventure, so don’t hesitate to call our expert team of adventure specialists at 800-974-0300 to learn more. Or click the button to use our online contact form.